Saturday, October 22, 2011

Education Inspiration.

To me school work has always come second to sports. I tried my hardest on the court and not in the class room. I would do enough to pass with a decent grade but not put all I could into school. I did not see what was wrong with that at all; I'd pass the classes, but focus on the thing I loved most, basketball! That was until Ken Vermillion entered my life. I was in seventh when my dad told me about a team that would go to tournaments throughout the summer and the coach would like me to be a part of the team. I was thrilled! I went to the first tournament not knowing anything about this coach. After the first tournament i was hooked. I stayed on the thunder team until I graduated and throughout those years i bonded with the team and Ken. When i first met Ken he was very intimidating, stubborn, and sarcastic, but as the summers went by I knew he was honestly had a soft heart that only our team could see. Ken changed my whole mind set on school. Although he was a basketball coach, he taught life lessons along with basketball. He would constantly tell me the importance of school work. He would ask me what I dreamed of in the near future and i would answer "playing college basketball." Ken calls me every now and then and checks up on my grades and tells me how proud he is of me which keeps me motivated. He said "Well, Jaic you’re living the dream, playing college ball. All i care about is your in college, basketball or no basketball, I couldn’t be more proud of you."  He is a man that is passionate about what he teaches and he cares for every girl that he coaches. He wants them to be successful beyond basketball. He changed my whole outlook on school work and life.

1 comment:

  1. You were blessed and lucky to have Coach Ken in your life. And you're right -- he taught you a lot more than just how to play a good game of b-ball.

    ReplyDelete