1. Paulo Freire's defines the concept of "narration sickness" as the way teachers teaches in ways that do not relate to reality. The student only memorize what the teacher is saying and regurgitates the formula or definition as a answer and does not actually put it into long term learning. He explains it as students will answer a question such as 3 times 2 as 6 without actually thinking of what 3 times to 2 is. The teachers teach and the students are taught to memorize.
2. When taking an Act test most students just look over the material and memorize so when taking the actual test all they do is fill in the bubble instead of actually using critical thinking. They are similar in the ways that both of these involve memorizing formulas or terms and spitting them back out rather than realizing the true significance of the question and answer.
3. I do not like classes involving math what so ever. I always have difficulties in the mathematics area. When I was a sophomore in high school I was in geometry. Mr. Enebo was the teacher of my geometry class. He was a really nice, intelligent, man but in my opinion not the best teacher for a student like me. He is a teacher who teaches in one dimension. When students would ask questions he would repeat what he had already said previously as if they would understand it the second time he said it. Sometimes that worked but most of the time no matter how many times he would say the same thing the students still would not understand.
That is where I think his biggest downfall in teaching is. He is so smart that he would expect that it makes sense to all. When the students didn’t understand it the way he does, he had no idea how to get through so they would. Relating his ways of teaching to the Paulo Friere’s Banking Concept of Education is when it states the teacher chooses the program content and the students, who were not consulted, adapt to it. There was no other option because Mr. Enebo had no other way of communicating the information to us besides the way he understands it.
4. Ever since I can remember I have been in love with the game of basketball. I always dreamed to play college basketball. When I was in seventh grade my dad told me a coach was interested in me being a part of his traveling team. Ken Vermillion coached the Thunder, a team of girl basketball players that would travel during the summer to tournament all around. I stayed with this team until my senior year. They became my second family. He coaches basketball in ways I have never heard of. He makes sure his players understand why he is teaching us what he is teaching us and relates it to real life.
I look up to Ken because he cares for each one of his players not only on the court but off. He pushed me outside my comfortable limits which made me a better player. He checks up on my grades and tells me how proud he is of me when I am doing something right but he also tells me when I am doing something wrong even now when I don’t play for him anymore. Now that I am in college I achieved my goal to being able to play basketball at this level and I know I couldn’t have done it without his coaching. He believes in everything he says and everyone he is teaching.
5. The Athenians embrace the concept of problem-posing education. They believe that everyone should be seeking for more knowledge. In this case not only should the students want to learn more but the teachers should be open to gaining more knowledge as well. A lot of courses at USF embrace this concept as well. I am in communications which is a course taught by Professor Nassif. He lets his students give examples of situations in their life that go along with what he is teaching so that he can learn more about the ways to communicate as well as teach us. I think all the courses I am in right now use the problem-posing education to some degree.
Keen observations here about your past teachers and education.
ReplyDelete